Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Trusting in the face of danger...


Trust.  Trust in us.  Falling.  Fall on.

The words are easy to say.  Do you trust me?  Often, we reply with a quick, “Sure, I trust you…” But would your really, if it may not be “safe” and risking “danger”?

Wednesday brought our campers face to face with the choice to trust in someone and take a risk.  Pushed to the edge today, the e-Campers had to answer some pretty tough questions for themselves.

Do you trust me enough to lean on me to help you stand 
(even if we cannot use our hands)?


Do you trust me enough to allow me to guide you with my words through a battlefield surrounded by your enemies who are all aiming for you? 


The e-Campers today talked about danger and taking risks.  Together we discovered that choosing to trust someone is difficult, but not impossible.  We relied on others to guide us and catch us when we fell.  We learned that even if I am afraid, having a friend there to walk beside me makes me able to conquer my fears.  We learned what it means to have someone’s back when they fall.

With the exciting things we learned, we also discovered that no matter how much a person tries, they could always make mistakes.  Today this meant getting hit with the wet sponge balls while we were “the tanks”.   We learned that people could falter and mess up because they are humans.

Then we were reminded that even though our friends and even our families might make mistakes, we serve a God who will never fail us.  God may ask us to do things that cause us to ask ourselves, “Is this safe?”  Then we can remember that our God, like C.S. Lewis wrote in, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, is not always safe,  Who said anything about safe? Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King I tell you."

Our God isn’t a mythical creation in a story book.  He isn’t a human that can fail us.  He is, as David said in Psalm 18:2 a, “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge.”

He will never leave us wandering around like our tank drivers.  He will never, ever let us fall, like the giant circle when someone pulls to hard and we stumble.  His hands are mighty to save (MUCH mightier than our counselors, and they were pretty strong when we did the trust falls). 

He is our rock.  He is one that we believe with all our hearts when He asks us to step off the edge into danger.  To Him alone we will say with full confidence that we have trust that we can fall on, no matter what He tells us to face.















No comments:

Post a Comment