Sunday, July 19, 2009

To Dance or Not to Dance? That is the Question.

Hello Blogger World! Some of you may not know me, but I'm Raychel McKelvy and I will be teaching "Move It" of the dance part of e-camp. I am so excited to get to encourage kids in worship through the art of dance. As I searched the scriptures for references of dance I realized that God intended dance to be used as an outward expression of joy. Ecclesiastes 3:4 says, "[there is] a time to mourn, and a time to dance." Psalm 30:11, " You have turned my mourning into dancing..." And it makes sense. There is plenty of dancing at weddings but I've never seen someone dance at a funeral. Dancing is just an automatic response to a happy heart. Even adults can't contain themselves when their happy. They have to do a little "jig" as my mom calls it. Two verses that really hit me were Psalm 149:3 and 2 Samuel 6:14. Psalm 149:3 says, "Let them praise His name with dancing, making melody to Him with tambourine and lyre." We are to praise God's name with dancing. Its not about the dancer, its about the Lord. In Exodus 15 Miriam and the women of Israel dance to give thanks to God for bringing them across the Red Sea. David dances like a crazy person because he was so excited about what the Lord had done. Speaking of David :D... The verse about him dancing is what hit me the hardest. 2 Samuel 6:14 says, " And David danced before the Lord with all his might." Not for others and not half-heartedly, but before the Lord and with all his might. That is how David danced. That is how I should dance, it is how we as believers should dance. And it is my prayer that it will be how the kids of e-camp will dance. Before the Lord, with all their might, bringing praise to His name. Continue to pray for camp.
In and thru Him, Raychel

No comments:

Post a Comment