Thursday, June 10, 2010

Exalting God Dramatically

Today was another dramatic day at E-Camp! Of course, when you kick off the morning with a drama sketch by our student leaders that includes Super Mario and an ostrich named Chives, the rest of the day cannot help but follow suit. When the therapist tried to help the handful of wacky characters to stop exalting things besides God, the kids laughed so hard they almost fell off their choir risers- and they got the point.

Later in our morning drama breakout session, the kids experimented with playing characters who did exalt God. One chose to be a missionary and share the gospel with another student, telling her "God is holy." Another chose to read her Bible- demonstrated by holding her hands like a book. When I asked what she was reading, she said, “I’m reading Luke.” Another prayed with his hands folded and his eyes closed, another sang a song in Spanish about how God can "move the mountains," two danced, and one picked up an imaginary baby lamb to show that she was taking care of God's creation. Little hands, faces, and imaginations were not just acting in those moments, they truly were exalting God.

After the students had returned to their places on the carpet, a little girl came up to me. She said, "I know of another song that exalts God." I needed to start the next activity, but her eyes were pleading. I asked "What is it?" She said, "Joy to the World." I asked, "Would you like to sing it for me?" She nodded. So, amidst the furor of energetic noise around us, I bent my head down to listen. She sang the whole song. And it was precious.

Now that I think about it, it wasn’t just another dramatic day at E-Camp. Through wacky characters, heartfelt acting, and a joyful Christmas carol, it was a dramatic day in which God was exalted!

No comments:

Post a Comment